Friday, April 27, 2012

What's blooming in April? The Shrimp Plant


Shrimp Plant. Beloperone tomentosa.  The showy reddish orange parts are actually bracts.  The actual flower is white and found at the end of the bracts.

This was growing at my house when I was little.  I loved to pull the flower out and taste the droplet of nectar.   The hummingbirds love this flower too!  I remember one day when I was about 10 years old a hummingbird landed on our shrimp plant.  I was so thrilled when I held out my finger and it stepped onto my finger!  It stayed long enough for me to get the attention of my  mom  and for her to go get the camera for a picture.  I don't understand why the hummer did that, but it gave me a memory I will keep forever!

As I was looking up the botanical name, I read again that I should be pinching this plant back to keep it bushy and cut the branches back with the bracts turn black. I'm glad to be doing  a little research for this blog to remind myself how to give better care for each plant.

1 comment:

  1. Another question came up on Facebook:
    Do you compost? Talked with lady at Starbucks who says that coffee grounds and egg shells are great for plants. I did a quick google on this .. and I may try it.

    My answer:
    I compost with the leaves I vacuum up with the Leaf Hog. Coffee grounds and egg shells are very good for plants. I'll add "Compost" as a topic for a future blog.

    ReplyDelete