Friday, April 20, 2012

Other Considerations for Your Plan

Other things to consider

  • Someplace to go
    • The pond always draws people outside.
    • Paths
      • To get around to tend to the plants.
      • To walk safely and comfortably to gates, the trash cans, etc.
      • As a place for kids to ride their scooters, etc.
      • The dogs love to race each other around the circular path.
      • To draw you into different areas of the yard.
        •  If your yard is small, consider putting in a door (or even a mirror) at the edge of your garden and put in a path leading to it. 
      • Paths can be made of stepping stones, gravel, concrete, wood planks, or other materials.  
        • My favorite path is made of decomposed granite.  It is laid out like sand.  You spread it, rake it smooth, then spray it with water.  It provides a smooth solid path that allows for water to flow into it without getting muddy. 
  • A place to sit
    • We have 2 tables on the patio with chairs around both.  I prefer the one with the glider and spinning chairs.
    • We also have a lounge chair to soak up some sun.
    • We have chairs on the side deck, but no one seems to use them.  It is lacking a purpose...  a future project.
    • There are a couple of "sitting rocks" next to the pond.
    • I enjoy having some places to sit in the shade as well as the sun.
  • Something to do
    • Sitting by the pond to feed the fish or read.
    • Watching the birds at the feeders.
      • I spend mega-bucks on thistle seed to attract finches.
        • I love the look of the Goldfinches and the red House Finches and they love to sing and chirp.
        • This seed is usually treated so it doesn't sprout.
        • The feeders I have are spring-loaded to help to keep the squirrels and rats out of the seed.
    • Sitting around a fire pit always sounds like a great idea.  I imagine S'mores and camp songs.  We have the fire pit, but rarely can I entice anyone out there. 
    • I love the idea of a large chessboard  in the yard.  Other outdoor games like bocci ball, badminton, croquet, or even Scrabble are also easy to include in your garden.
    • It's easy to add a covered sandbox for kids.
    • I wish I could justify this adjustable pool!
  • Something to listen to
    • The waterfall dulls the traffic noise.
    • The birds at the feeders are usually singing.
    • Soft wind chimes provide a calming background.
    • Birch trees can provide a soft rustle in a slight breeze.
 So that's what I try to share with people who ask how I planned my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment