Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What's Blooming in April? - Roses

 The roses are really just getting started, but they are definitely putting on a show.  I've only needed to "dead head" a few spent flowers. These are from the flower bed under our bedroom window.  I wish I could tell you the  names of these blooms.  I believe they are all "tea roses."  Did I mention that I'm not an expert?  If I learn them (or find my records) I will add them later.  This group of roses were chosen for their scent as much as their color and form.


I always thought roses were delicate and difficult.  They need full sun and will bloom more if the spent blooms are snipped off.  Cut them just above a leaf with 5 parts.  They need to be pruned way back at the end of the season.  In our area, that's around Christmas.  I like to keep them after the holiday guests have seen them.  Other than that they really don't take much care. 



 I love the lavender shade of the rose!









This rose is in the bed near the pond. . .  Not tropical or pondish at all.  But that's where they are.  So there!







 I believe this climbing rose is called Lady Banks.

No comments:

Post a Comment