Saturday, April 28, 2012

What's blooming in April? Hibiscus


Hibiscus.  Hibiscus rosa-sinensis.  I love the look of this flower.  I've got them in pink, yellow, and red.  But all of them have had white fly.  One had it so bad I could see the cottony fibers hanging from it from the kitchen window!  The flies and their powdery residue were obnoxious and got all over every time I got near.  I finally gave up on that one.  I had someone take it out for me.

They like good drainage, lots of sun, heat, and protection from the wind.  They also like lots of fertilizer through the summer.  Perhaps I haven't been providing for them adequately.  I'm hoping now that I'm back in the garden more often the remaining Hibiscus will be healthy enough to ward off the white flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment