Sunday, April 29, 2012

What's Blooming - Front Yard Annuals




 This is my one area of colorful annuals.  The flowers were planted in flowing lines around the tree.  I guess I needed to shake up my usual planting pattern!  The photo really doesn't do it justice, but maybe you'll get the idea when you see the close-ups below.


 Johnny Jump-Ups.  Viola tricolor.  This plant was another nostalgic flower for me.  They used to come up on their own under the picket fence at my childhood home.  Every year I would dig one up and plant it in a Dixie Cup for my mom for Mother's Day.   The book says they will reseed, but they haven't done that for me.  I have suspected my mom planted them in April when I wasn't at home.  :)
Ranunculus.  Ranunculus asiaticus.  (I think!)  I recently grabbed these on a quick trip to the nursery, thinking they were Icelandic Poppies.  Luckily they fit into my plan pretty well.  They are poisonous, but they are not where the dogs will be tempted to eat them.  They are a perennial so I'm glad to have some pretty flowers going in there.  We'll see how they do this year.
Pansies.  Viola tricolor hortensis. I love these colorful flowers!  I keep hoping they will re-seed themselves.  I get a few volunteers, but generally these are flowers I buy and plant every year.  I think they're worth it. 
I've forgotten what these flowers are called.  They are a perennial that dies back but returns in the spring.  It has a squarish stem...  I believe it's related to mint, but it doesn't have the strong scent and it's not an aggressive grower like mint.  I'll find out their name and add it in when I can.



 Snapdragons  Antirrhinum majus.  These definitely reseed, but I usually end up planting more to fill this space.  Somehow I ended up with all the same color this year. 



No comments:

Post a Comment