Sunday, April 29, 2012

What's blooming in April? Camellias

 Camellias.  Camellia japonica.  These are planted near the hydrangeas are another plant that loves acidic soil, lots of water, and shade.

I understand they can be susceptible to a fungus which makes the flowers and buds turn brown and drop off.  But it may just be the neglect I've given them.  I'm hoping the acid soil and better water will help.  I was just reading they like lots of iron in the soil too.

If you love Camellias, I recommend a visit Descanso Gardens in La Canada/Flintridge.  The gardens were developed by newspaper publisher E. Manchester Boddy.  If I remember correctly from the tour, he bought up camellias from the Japanese gardeners who were being "interned" during World War II and it's now one of the largest collections of camellias.  The whole place is really quite lovely!

I have high hopes for my Camellias this year.  I promise to give them better care!

No comments:

Post a Comment