Saturday, April 28, 2012

What's blooming in April? The Fuschia

Fuschia.  Fuschia hyprida.  They like cool summer temperatures and lost of moisture in the air and soil.  They also need shade.  I need to give better care to these plants.  I think the one growing best actually gets the most sun.  I'm guessing the soil is better in that part of the yard. Plus I didn't get fertilizer down last year and I'm not sure how much the gardeners fertilized before that.  Maybe they'll do well and I can make new plants with cuttings.  Fuschias, I promise now to give you better TLC.

I remember the tons of hanging baskets of fucshias when we lived in Anchorage.  They are just starting to bloom in my yard this year.  There is one that gets rubbed the wrong way by the flax and that plant is barely surviving. 

Some varieties are more upright like these.  Others droop and trail and are really better for hanging baskets. The flowers can be big and the doubles are nice and full.  These are a single variety.  Others like the fulgens have long narrow flowers, and then there is the magellanica with even more narrow flowers. 
The hummingbirds love the flowers!  So do I!

No comments:

Post a Comment