Monday, April 23, 2012

Tools for Protection and Comfort


Protection and Comfort
 Garden Gloves.  I need to get some like these.  They look a lot like last year's gloves that are wearing out.  I kick myself when I don't wear gloves.  I embed mud under my nails with the first weed I pull without gloves.  I like the kind with leather fingers and palms and breathable stretchy fabric for the rest.  I also like ones that are snug enough around the wrist to stay on and keep dirt out. 


My sister and brother-in-law gave me this one.  Any hat with a broad brim will do, but this one has a lovely garden themed band that can also be tied under my chin on windy days.

  My heavy duty work sandals☺ are not the best thing to wear, but they are quick to put on and the soles are strong enough to use a shovel.  I can leave them outside the back door so I can slip them on and off without tracking dirt everywhere.  I can just hose off the sandals if they get too muddy.  If I wear lace-up boots or tennis shoes, it takes too much time to take them off when I need to run inside and it becomes another task to clean them up.  With the sandals, I end up with mud embedded between my toes.  Perhaps I should try Crocs, but I think my feet would get too sweaty.  I've worn these for years now and don't seem motivated to change yet. 
Don't forget sun screen!  This has SBF 30.  You might also want long sleeves and long pants even if it's hot.  If you're like me, you'll spend hours working in the garden, but wouldn't dream of basking in the sun that long.

  My friend Karen bought me a folding kneeler bench like this one.  I rarely fold it up.  It's usually stored in the bench position, over the orange bucket to try to hide it a little and perhaps to keep the rain water out of the bucket.  I love this bench/kneeler!  I sit on the bench to prune the roses and flip it over to dig up weeds.  The handles make it easier for me to get up after a long session of weeding.

  And don't forget your water!  This water bottle is from the Fly Lady who has helped me get my house in order so I can work in my garden.  The water bottle is tough enough to hold up to gardening work and keeps the water cool.  Thanks Fly Lady!

 I do not endorse any of the stores for the products.  I just wanted you to have somewhere to go to find what I'm talking about.I do use these products though, and they work well for me.  You may be able to find better or cheaper sources.  

No comments:

Post a Comment