Monday, April 23, 2012

Tools for Trimming


These Florian Clippers have become an essential tool.  I took a huge risk when I bought them at the Ventura County Fair.  They were not cheap.  (If you can buy a pair without the holster you can have mine.  I never use it!)  I used and abused my clippers when I gutted the yard and I still use them every time I'm gardening.  They easily snip rose stems for dead-heading.  But what I love is that they will cut anything I can get the blades around.  I have cut trees back to the trunks with these, though the website says anything up to 3/4".  The ratcheting feature allows the tool to do most of the work for me.  I admit I do have large hands that give me an advantage for this kind of work.  They have a lifetime warranty with plenty of restrictions, but when I took one pair back to the fair the guy traded my worn ones for a brand new pair.  A spring or something is out on my current pair.  They don't stay closed to put away.  But they still work for pruning and clipping.

When I looked at the ivy wall there was no way to keep up with that with the clippers.  I bought myself a Hedgehog, a 22" Trimmer.  I may be converted to noisy power tools with this thing.  I am always worried I'll chop off my leg, but there are several safety features.  The rechargeable batteries allow me to move freely (plus there's no cord for me to cut!)  In just a few minutes I can tame that enormous wall.  It's also helpful for the sage in front.  Some time I will share the trick with the sage that I learned by watching the gardeners.
We got our long-handled pole saw from our neighbors when they moved away.  Ours does not have a telescoping handle like this one, so it's hard to store in the garage.  It's great for trimming trees.  It can be used as a saw for bigger branches.  You can also hook it over a smaller branch and pull the cord to cut off smaller branches.  It saves me from climbing a ladder in the garden and that's a good thing!

I do not endorse any of the stores for the products.  I just wanted you to have somewhere to go to find what I'm talking about.I do use these products though, and they work well for me.  You may be able to find better or cheaper sources.   


No comments:

Post a Comment