Sunday, April 29, 2012

What's blooming in April? Indian Hawthorn


Indian Hawthorn.  Rhaphiolepis indica.  This flower grows on the swirling loose hedge.  I bought both pink and white flowered varieties.  Only the pink ones are blooming right now. 

These shrubs grow to 4 feet, so that's how far apart I planted them.  Many people cut them to a straight edged hedge.  I told the gardeners not to cut anything with straight edges, but that was just a foreign concept to them.  But they honored my request.  But I wondered why they never grew to 4 feet.  Now that the gardeners are not cutting them, they are growing and filling in like I wanted!  Yes, there are a few stray branches that I need to trim.  :)

These bushes look pretty in the fall too, with dark blue berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment