Sunday, April 28, 2013

It's Cheaper to Move the Plants

The title of today's blog post is a quote from Jose Calderone, a guy who came to fix our sprinkler system.  We had one water spout and one flooded area.  I also thought we needed to adjust the timing, but I didn't know how to go about it.  So I remembered a little flyer dropped in our yard a few months back.  This flyer was more than the usual business card or ad with a name and contact information.  This one had Sprinkler System Tips such as the best lawn watering time (3am-6am) and the  months to adjust watering time (Early March, Early June, and Late September).


So I called the number and Jose came out.  He was prompt, friendly, and really seemed to know what he was talking about.  As it turned out, both the water spout and the flooded area were easy fixes.  He adjusted several sprinkler heads.  (I didn't even know they could be turned down!)

I would recommend Jose if you need a help in your garden.  He does landscape maintenance as well as care for sprinklers.  He said I could share his number, but I didn't tell him I had a garden blog.  I hope Jose doesn't mind me sharing his phone  number here.
Jose Calderone
Evergreen Landscape
805 276-8630

And as we looked at the front area where I've planted the Coral Bells and replanted some ornamental strawberries, I pointed out the edge that doesn't get watered.  You can see the line where I've put in the arrows.
Two of the Coral Bells were on the wrong side of that line.  I said I should move the two plants, and Jose agreed, saying "It's cheaper to move the plants than to more the sprinklers."  Yep.

And when I was at B and B Hardware I saw the 4" Coral Bells displayed in the front of the store.  Two different varieties!  And since they were smaller, they were also about 1/2 the price.  Though I really had enough plants, I couldn't pass these up.



So the big picture shows the new configuration.  I moved the Lemon Chiffon to the back.  Since its yellow color shows up better, it can bring the eye to the back.  I moved the Ruby Veil up to the front, and planted the new plants, Amber Waves and Cinnabar Silver, on either side of it.

By the way, thanks to my friend, Marie,  I think we have the name of that mystery flower in the front.  She thinks it's Blue Salvia.  I've planted other salvias that do not stay neat and tidy like mine and hers look much larger.
What do you think?  Same plant?




No comments:

Post a Comment