Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Wreaths


I just returned from making wreaths with the Pleasant Valley Garden Club.  Every wreath is decorated with natural items collected from gardens and parks... seed pods, leaves, cones, etc.  Some items are sprayed gold or silver, but many were left natural.  It was inspiring to walk around the room and see each wreath, all different, but all gorgeous.  Here's the one I decorated.




The picture may not be the best, but I liked the gold magnolia leaves and the blush of white on the cypress.














When I got home I noticed the wreath we always have hanging on the side of the garage.  I made this huge wreath years ago.  It's about 4 feet across and it's just made from the very long branches from the Banks Rose.  I just wrapped the soft green branches around and around.  If I've pruned all the branches and it's not full enough, I just wait a month or so until more branches need pruning.  Eventually it becomes a sturdy wreath. 





In the past I've wrapped fake evergreen garland around it and stick in some fake holly.  I looked at my shrubs that needed pruning and was inspired to stick the shrub cuttings into my bare wreath.  I was already in my grubby clothes and had my garden clippers in my hand.  I got to work pruning.

 I think it turned out quite lovely.  It's mostly Indian Hawthorn with their dark blue berries.  I tucked in the few dry Hydrangea blossoms I missed when I was cutting them back last week.  I added white and yellow tipped Pittosporum, a few with seed pods.  And then to finish it off, I added some red tipped leaves from Nandina with the clumps of bright red berries.  

We'll see if it holds up over the holidays.  If not, at least I got some pruning done.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Howard told me about; he was quite impressed as well!

    ReplyDelete