Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What's Blooming in September? Ginger


The Ginger plant Hedychium, grows next to the waterfall.  The flowers smell heavenly!  The plant never really looks fabulous though.  They tend to lean over like they're trying to get out of the shade of the neighbor's Ficus tree.  

I was reading up on it in the Sunset book.  It says the foliage of White Ginger is usually unattractive because if it's hot enough for the flowers to bloom well, the leaves burn.  Well, it's been hot and the flowers are blooming.  You can see some of the edges of the leaves are burned.  

I don't know if I have the White Ginger, Hedychium coronarium, or the Cream Ginger, Hedychium flavum.   The root was given to me by a friend.  The flowers do look kind of creamy to me, so maybe I have the flavum.  It's supposed to be  more fragrant that then White Ginger and the Kahili Ginger. 

The plant looks OK to me and the scent is wonderful! 



No comments:

Post a Comment