Monday, September 17, 2012

Procrastination

 I have been walking past the overgrown Agapanthus for quite a while.  The plant has grown away from the original center plant leaving huge thick roots around a bare middle.

These roots looked like concrete.  I have been putting it off.  I didn't think I wanted to rent a jack hammer or swing a sledge.  Ugh!

So I've been thinking maybe I could start at one side and over time, work my way through this eyesore.


So I grabbed my work gloves, my heavy duty work sandals, and the shovel.







It turned out most those concrete "logs" were actually just a thin covering over rotted centers.   I was able to pull out a lot of these with my hands.



Sure, some of the root stalks were still viable, but all of the plants in this area had the long overgrown look.  Out they go!


I was able to pull all of the Agapanthus in just a few hours.  Whoopie!

I replaced the old plants with some that had planted themselves in the wrong place...  in other words, they had become weeds.

I covered the area with home-grown mulch.   Much better!

I won't wait so long to thin the Agapanthus.  It was work, but not nearly as bad as I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment