Thursday, March 6, 2014

Fences, Trees, and Neighbors

 Our huge ficus tree needed pruning.  We had it done a couple of years ago, but it was time again.  But frankly I was surprised when our neighbor told us she wanted it cut back so it didn't hang over her side at all.  She brought a tree trimmer with her and suggested we might want more of the tree trimmed.  It took me a while to realize she wanted us to pay for the tree to be cut back from her side.

That's not my understanding of the city rules regarding trees.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think we are responsible for trimming any trees over our yards no matter where the trunk is. If I'm right, she has a right to cut the tree as much as she wants on her side.  But I believe that is both her choice and her responsibility.



The timing was all wrong for us to pay anyone to do any major work since we were quite unsure about when Allen's annuity would begin and how much it would be.  But in order to keep peace in the neighborhood, we paid for the tree to be trimmed...  this time.

It looks so empty!  I hope it fills in before summer.  This tree will be as good about blocking the sun's glare on our bedroom window.

But it will grow back.

Good news for us.  Not so good for our neighbor.
Here's the way it looks from the front of the house.  It looks like half a tree.  I guess that's what it really is. 


Next, the fence.

Same neighbor wants to replace the fence.   The whole fence is in dire need of replacing.  We were not at all impressed with the way it was replaced before and we were not at all able to help pay for it at the time.  The termite infested fence was left in place and a new fence was attached on top of it.  We were able to remove  some of the old fence boards, but it's all supported by the old posts.   We need to be part of the planning and paying this time!

She wanted to put in a wall.  A wall might be nice, but that tree's roots would tear down a wall.  I think I've convinced her that a wall would not be a good idea.

I hope the fence negotiations go better all around. Can you tell I'm not a good negotiator?

No comments:

Post a Comment