Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Let the water flow!

We had a leak. . .  not a major leak and it turned out not to be much of a problem to repair.  But to locate the leak we had to turn off the waterfall.  And since the leak was in the skimmer we needed to keep the waterfall and pump turned off until we could get it fixed.

Oh, how I missed the sound of the waterfall!  It brings life to our whole home!  The sound lulls me to sleep at night.  The sight of the waterfall greets me in the morning as I get my coffee.  Even now, as I sit at my desk, I can hear it flowing. It is truly the highlight of our garden.

Due to a series of technical issues, we had trouble touching base with Frank Cornellier.  I worried that we would have to find someone else to call on for maintenance.  Frank has a special touch when he builds ponds.  He builds ponds that function as close to a natural system as possible, so there really is very little that needs to be done on a regular basis.  One guy that came had a very different philosophy for ponds.  It sounded as if his ponds were really more designed to showcase koi.  You could put koi in our pond, but our pond showcases our yard, not the fish.  The goldfish don't need daily feeding.  The are pretty, but if a raccoon, opossum, or egret comes to eat from the pond, I won't lose a major investment.  I much prefer Frank's natural style of ponds. 

The technical glitches were resolved.  I was able to reach Frank and he got the water flowing again!  It reminds me how wonderful it is to have a pond.

If you are considering a pond, I'd say go for it!  I highly recommend Frank.  Check out his website for Paradise Now Ponds, then give him a call. 

2 comments:

  1. We agree! We purchased our fish, first from WalMart, [until we got a batch of of sick ones] then from PetSmart for our outdoor pond. I've hauled away several untagged cats in a have-a-heart trap but, unfortunately, caught two skunks as well.

    Our pond is next to our front porch. One of our security cameras caught a cat casing our fish today. Since I sometimes monitor the system from work, I had called a neighbor that's home during the day to chase it away.

    Cheers,

    Norm
    SATX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can tell, we really enjoy our pond!!! This pond was built with steep sides and it's fairly deep. There are rocks giving lots of hidey holes for the fish. It's hard for predators, large and small, to get access.

      Our previous pond was cement and had slanted sides. We had ALL of our fish eaten one night. I thought that had happened a couple of times with the new pond, but all the fish were just hiding. A few hours later they were all back, but looking a little wary. We have pictures of egrets standing at the side of the pond, waiting, but as far as I can tell, we haven't lost any fish in several years.

      I've heard of people laying out some netting over the water to keep predators out. I personally would hate that. I suppose that would be more for those valuable koi. I can't imagine spending thousands on a fish that looks like it might make a good dinner. :)

      Delete